Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How to form a lasting bond between and American and a European

I've only lived on two continents (Australia and North America), unfortunately. But over that time, my circle of friends has expanded to include at least one person in every country (okay so maybe I don't know anyone from Iraq or Afghanistan but I do have friends from Moldova, Iran, and Tonga). I think people outside of Europe are easier to befriend than Europeans, maybe because they don't think they're better, smarter, richer and less obese than you. Fortunately, my European friends have grown to learn the opposite about me. I'm not obese which I'm sure they were aware of seeing that I'm 110 lbs and 5'8 and I have my masters degree. So I've proved two stereotypes wrong...or so I thought. It doesn't matter how book smart you are to Europeans, if you say one dumb thing once...Like the time I said that America was the only reason the whole world isn't speaking German (okay so my dad's a little patriotic about WWII), you're dumb forever.

Fortunately, I had great friends who tell it like it is. As an American, I was told I brag too much, I'm arrogant and I think I'm better than othe rpeople. Unfortunately, a lot of Americans are taught to think that by stating their accomplishments, other people will look at you and think it's great. Not the case in Europe. My best friend/significant other in Australia was Swedish and he taught me all about modesty and individuality. He taught me about how to maintain your individuality without bragging about accomplishments and being modest about your experiences. It was a totally new thing to me. I also learned from my BFF who is a Brit that girls don't always have to be catty and insane to each other. She was the nicest, most supportive friend I've ever had who thanked me for how much I taught her during our friendship and would always compliment me.

The best part about both of these friendships, and the others I'v ehad with Europeans, is that their humour is totally dry and sarcastic. YOu have no idea if they're insulting you or if that was just a joke. Most of the time it's a joke but it can be really difficult sometimes to tell the difference.

So if you want to be friends with a European you have to realise the friendship will not be artificial, you will have to learn to figure out the difference between a joke and an insult, and you should never take for granted their friendship because it can be one of the most real relationships you will ever experience during your lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home